Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Accommodations, Interventions & Modifications || AutismAid

Accommodations, Modifications & Interventions

Accommodating Students with Special Needs

From , former About.com Guide

Modifications? Accommodations or Interventions? Here's a checklist of strategies to help you with the inclusional classroom which will assist in meeting the needs of all students.

___ Special needs students are within close proximity to the teacher or the teacher's assistant.

___ I have procedures that are well understood by students to keep noise levels at an acceptable level. The Yacker Tracker is a worthwhile investment.

___ I have a special carrel or private location for test-taking and or seatwork for those requiring 'free of distractions' to enable success.

___ I have eliminated as much clutter as I can and keep distractions to a minimum.

___ I never present instructions/directions orally alone. I always provide graphic organizers, written or graphical instructions also.

___ Clarifications and reminders are given regularly as needed.

___ Needy students have agendas which I regularly have them, and myself refer to. Home/school communication is in place for those students requiring it.

___ Work is organized into workable 'chunks'.

___ My classroom expectations are clearly understood as are my consequences for inappropriate behaviors.

___ Extra assistance is provided when needed through a peer or myself.

___ Praise for 'catching them doing it right' occurs regularly.

___ Use of behavior contracts to target specific behaviors is in place.

___ My students are aware of my cueing and prompting system which helps them stay on task.

___ I never begin instructions/directions until I have my classe's undivided attention.

___ I allow additional 'wait' time for my special needs students.

___ I provide my special needs students with regular, ongoing feedback and always promote their self-esteem.

___ Do all of your learning experiences promote learning?

___ Do you provide activies that are multi-sensory and take into consideration learning styles?

___ Do you let your special needs students repeat instructions/directions?

___ Do you modify and or shorten assignments to ensure success?

___ Do you have methods to enable the student to have text written to him/her and can they dicate their answers?

___ Do you provide opportunities for cooperative learning? Working together in groups often helps to clarify misconceptions for learning delayed students.

To find out more about success in the inclusional classroom, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment